March into Kindergarten is a county-wide initiative to encourage parents to register their children for kindergarten in the spring, rather than waiting until summer to make a last-minute registration for the new school year.
Kindergarten registration and requirements in Cuyahoga County, Ohio
You want your child to get the best start. That’s why it’s so important to register in the Spring, long before school begins. You might be wondering what necessary paperwork is required and where can you get the answers you need. Below you’ll find general information on kindergarten registration and requirements in Ohio.
Why register for kindergarten now?
Kindergarten is a child’s first school experience. You want it to be pleasant – not last-minute and chaotic. Your child needs to be comfortable with the school and the teacher. By registering your child for kindergarten now you can be sure that:
- All the necessary paperwork is in: You have time to secure and submit the needed records so there’s no rush or problem getting the necessary information.
- The school is prepared: Schools plan in the spring and need to know how many teachers to hire and how many supplies they’ll need. They often provide screenings to ensure that the child receives the best learning experience and resources.
- You know about school policies, special programs, activities, and services: You understand the school’s policies, procedures and schedules. Some schools have summer programs to help children get ready for school. There may be school supply giveaways. Or your child may qualify for special services to give them an extra boost.
Having all these affairs in order means that you, your child, the teacher, and the school avoid last-minute stress!
How do I register my child for kindergarten?
What do I need?
Most schools require:
- Birth certificate: available in Cuyahoga County from the City of Cleveland Bureau of Vital Statistics
- Immunization records: from the child’s doctor or clinic
- Proof of residence: *Varies by district. Driver’s license, state ID or passport plus 2 of these: utility bill, rental agreement, mortgage, deed, tax statement, payroll form, etc.
- Guardianship records (if needed): Court documentation, divorce decree, shared parenting plan, caretaker authorization. May need to be notarized.
For more information, visit the March into Kindergarten website, or dial 2-1-1.
Teachers/residents – please share the below fliers with families: